[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Welder ballasts vs. other types

<< snip
>    From my experience above, it seems static/rotary combination gaps need
the
> resistance with inductive ballasting to work properly, however rotary gaps
> alone work well with inductive only ballasting.  This is for my set up
anyway,
> others out there noting the same results?

> Kevin E >>

Kevin, all,

I wonder if the
radically swinging inductances that may occur using inductive
ballasting alone, cause peaks and valleys in the firing voltage,
such that the gap misfires at times (due to a too low a voltage),
and requires closer total gap spacing to insure firing, thus, the
static series gaps can't be tolerated.  It would seem to be a
voltage related thing.  Another possibility is simply that the
pure inductive ballasting is creating such high peak outputs,
that the system needs to be spaced/insulated better to handle
the higher voltages.  Very interesting the way these factors
work together.  Yes, I'd like to hear of other's experiences and
views on this too.

John Freau