[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc Impedance Study - Computer Models

Hi DC,

> Original Poster: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
> to: Sam
>
> Definitely not.  In most all systems the sec. first turn should be elevated
> above the pri by 1 to 1 1/2 inches.  We use up to 9 inches in some of our
> larger systems.  The idea is to set the coeff. of coupling so the double
> "Camel's hump" doesn't occur which would indicate frequency splitting and
> the division of energy into two separate freqs which then start "beating"
> against each other.  You need a pulse generator or signal generator and a
> scope to see the double hump, but as the sec is elevated the two freqs will
> come together and this is the point for most efficient energy transfer and
> good operational characteristics from the coil system.

Surely the ideal load you are targeting for a one way transfer is an
established arc output, not the unloaded shunt impedance of the
secondary? Or are you suggesting this adjustment to get a first notch
quench? I can't say I've found an improvement in performance in
reducing coupling to this degree - the opposite in fact. If one goes
for critical coupling with no spark, the primary is losing as much or
more energy than the secondary by definition. I think it is perhaps
apples and oranges to compare adjusting a coupled pair in a radio set
for critical coupling where there are fixed source and load
impedances with a coupled pair in a TC where the load impedance can
swing to low values when throwing a spark. Compared with figures
given lately for streamers, the unloaded shunt impedance of a good
resonator is well into the megohm range.

?
Malcolm