[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Saving the Garage Door Opener?

I ran my coil outside for the first time this weekend, and was
very disappointed in the performance. Unfortunately where I live
there is fairly constant breezes. Great for staying cool, lousy
for the formation of ion clouds.
So.
I'm trying to find a way to move back into the garage. But there is this
pesky little door opener in the way. And my wife has been fairly
understanding
of my purchasing of all the hardware for the coil, but draws the line at
my removing the door opener. Since my door and operating hardware
are all metal, I thought I might be able to protect the system in this
manner, someone please tell me if I am all wet.

1) Attach runners to my RF ground.
2) Build a 'faraday cage' of aluminum mesh around door opener unit
   itself, with a door for the antenna to hang down for normal operation,
   to be lifted up inside the cage during coil runs. Attach this cage to
   RF ground.
3) Yank the plug during the runs
4) Ground the door via clamp.

Do I stand a chance?  I already know that running the coil in the next
bay over (I have a 3-car) confuses the obstruction sensor to the point
where it shuts down, requiring me to unplug the door opener to reset.

Thanks
Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net