[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Fw: Arc Impedance Study - Computer Models

Hi, 'scuse me for butting in but as a complete beginner I don't see the
relevance of the discussion in the sense that I'm only aware of two
scenarios,

1 NST, OBIT or MOT where I believe we would have little choice in
primary capacitor value as resonant charging would be used to get as
much out of the transformer as possible, and the higher the primary
voltage the better since we effectively loose a voltage equal to the ON
voltage of the gap for each half cycle of r.f. with the primary
inductance chosen to match the Fres of the secondary,

2 Pole-pigs where similar considerations apply but Cpri is chosen by
considering power=energy-per-bang x bangs-per-second. Again Lpri is
chosen to match Fres of the secondary.

What am I missing?   ... Sulaiman

> >Hi Terry,
> >    The energy in the capacitor scales as the square of the voltage
> >and linearly with capacitance.  The energy lost to the arc scales as
> >current to the inverse 0.67 power (Attwood, Electric and magnetic
> >fields, page 138).
>
> I don't have this book.  I don't see what is meant by "The energy lost
> the arc scales as current to the inverse 0.67 power".

	<snip>
> Of course, the second coil will give longer steamers because it has 10
> times the inital energy.  If you even the coil's energys by reducing
> the
> voltage on second coil to 31.6% of the first coil (6320 volts), it
> will
> then start out at 2 joules also.  So now they are even.  First coil is
> pushing 200 amps in the primary and the second coil is pushing 632
> amps in
> the primary.  Since the losses in the primary circuit's wiring,
> capacitors
> and gap generally follow the I^2R rule, the second coil may have 10
> times
> the loss of the first.  You would be better off with a larger primary
> inductance I would think.

	<snip>