[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stats of my new capacitor

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Aric <acr-at-infinet-dot-com>
>
> The LCR meter uses a "1V" wave.  Whether this is peak-peak or amplitude I
> know not, but I suspect amplitude.
> This cap will be one of four, wired in series, for Tesla coil use.  The
> power supply is a 15 kV/60ma NST.
>
> At 08:08 PM 10/13/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> >
> >Hi Aric,
> >          What voltage are you looking to apply across the cap? The
> >specs sound great!  Is it just one section or are there several in
> >series?
> >
> >Malcolm
> >
> >> Original Poster: Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com (Aric C Rothman)
> >>
> >>      I just finished taking readings of a new stack plate capacitor I
> >>      built.  I used a Quadtech precision LCR meter to take these
> >>      measurements.
> >>
> >>      C = 42.5 nF
> >>      DF = 0.0000759
> >>      ESR = 818.73 microohms
> >>
> >>      all measurements were taken at 100 kHz.

Aric,

At 160 mils of total dielectric the cap system should be "bulletproof"!
You should be able to get by running only 2 or 3 caps in series later on
if you decide to boost the power level of the system. A series/parallel
combination of 0.04 uF can also be used for an even higher power system,
and you should still have sufficient voltage withstand capability. As
long as you size the caps to be identical and keep them electrically
independent (or bring out the individual leads if they are in one
container), you'll have lots of mix and match combinations!

BTW, most coilers end up increasing their power levels once they've
built their first system and begin the quest for longer streamers...
:^)  More power, more power!

Nice cap design!

-- Bert --