[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST Resonant Charging?

> Original Poster: Sulaiman Abdullah <sulaiman-at-lityan-dot-com.my>
>
> > Using simulation software you can prove to yourself that even though
> > the capacitor is discharged every 1/2 cycle of the mains the highest
> > voltage IS produced for the 'resonant charging' scheme, and very
> > nearly at the zero-crossing of the mains input. By SIMULATION only at
> > the moment a higher power/energy (fixed pps) is achieved with about
> > 20% higher capacitance.

I ran the ckt on MSim7.1, which confirms that a 60Hz
resonant charger requires most of the 60Hz cycle to
supercede the open ckt voltage to any useful degree.

Here's the results from the simulation: (Qchg ~10)

Break Rate  Overcharge

240BPS  -    18%
120BPS  -    25%
 60BPS  -   103%
 30BPS  -   181%
 15BPS  -   230%

As I understand it, NST's are not designed to withstand
even their own open ckt voltage indefinitely, let alone
a voltage rise due to resonant charging.

This suggests that perhaps a static gap which is firing
erratically (thus producing a low BPS and a high overshoot)
may be the silent killer of marginalized NST's.

IMO, resonant charging seems more a bug then a feature,
especially if it cannot be used in the 200-plus BPS range.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org