[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More arc simulations

Hi Richard,

     Models can do wonderful things, They can test new ideas and designs
quickly, simply, and cheaply.  They can search out and find design problems
and suggest optimal component values.  My earlier posts had modeling data
that took about three hours to find.  If I had to make real coils to do
those tests, it would have taken years.  There is no doubt that models are an
extremely powerful tool.  However, the problem with models is getting the
darn things to agree with the real world!
     It is easy to point and click up all kinds of models while sitting in
the stuffed office chair with a mouse in one hand and a beer in the other
(my preferred method :-)).  However, unless the modeler drags himself into
the lab (ok, clear spot in basement :-)) and actually holds the computer
printouts up to the scope photos, the models will never really work.  In
the past, that comparison has been quite depressing!  Hooking a scope
to the output arcs to measure real-time currents is not easy to do.  As
far as I know, Greg and I are the only ones.  Greg's data was collected
early in the year and my probes got good enough to do it last week (my
top terminal is too small to climb into with a scope in hand :-))
Although, Richard, you may have done this too and haven't mentioned it
in the time I have been on the list.  I know you have most of the tools to
do it ;-)
     In the past, there was not good measuring equipment to feed the models
with the accurate real world data they need.  A big hot arc burning the
paint off the ceiling is real nice but the models need to know currents,
voltages, phase, etc.  Without some way to tie the models to actual results,
they will stray wildly off course.  However, with good data, they can lock
right onto a system with remarkable accuracy.  We now have the tools to
supply very good data to the models and in turn they are producing results
that are finally agreeing with real results.
     It is very gratifying to know that the results the models now give,
agree with what the true experts like yourself have noted for years.
Indeed, the models show that all the parameters have to work together to
produce a nice output.  They also show that the little tweaks and rules we
do by experience are in fact very valid once all the complex interactions
are considered.  Better yet, they suggest new little tweaks we may have
never suspected.  Indeed, when a model shows something and one can say "Sure
enough, that's just what Richard has been telling us for years!"  it's
probably working! :-)
     Unfortunately, the present modeling systems are too complex for the
"average guy" to use easily.  Hopefully, once we can get these big complex
things to give realistic results, simpler and easy to use programs can be
developed.  There is nothing magic about how modeling programs work.  They
can be striped of all the bells and whistles into much simpler and user
friendly dedicated tools once the basic mechanics are known.  Fairly soon
(few years), programs will be able to predict and optimize coil behavior and
suggest the best parameters to use in their construction given a set of
"parts at hand" to use.  The models don't have any hurtles to overcome.
when they get good enough to spit out super coils, we will start building
them like mad to just what the printout says.  At that point, a little magic
will be lost forever in coiling, but our sparks will be better so we won't
notice.  Of course, there will be times when the "seat of the pants" coilers
finds something that our models don't predict and we can sit back and enjoy
us all running around like wild rats trying to figure out what when wrong
with the model.  But that is just the way the modeling world is.
     We have all noticed that old knowledge get rediscovered by others all
the time.  There is no Tesla coil school so we all start from the very
beginning without much background.  No teachers or anything to drill the
basics into us.  We all start fresh at step one and climb our way up.  There
are many books and such but the authors can't keep up with the state of the
art (I have started mine six times now, but the table of contents keeps
changing :-)).  Lots of bleeding edge technology in this hobby but, of
course, that's why we are all here.

     Terry

At 06:59 AM 10/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
snip
>  Malcom,
>
>The TCBOR in tape #1 or 2 back in 1989 and 90 made a number of statements
based
>on our work so it is on record before the internet was ever an item of note.
>
>1. Never build a coil low to the ground.  (losses increase)
>2.  Always use a primary of larger inductance (5-6 turn absolute minimum)
Note*
>doesn't apply to 20 foot diameter primaries.
>3. Always use the smallest tank capacitor and the highest voltage possible
within
>the limits of your power design goals.
>4.  Always use a very high inductance secondary.
>

>By 1991 we had added the maximim that........" only the largest toroidal
sizes
>allowed large sparks to be produced and that our recommendation was that the
>toroid should dwarf the resonator."
>
>I think I got on the internet back in 1995 or something like that.  I
screamed
>that then when this list was young.  I have re-iterated all these tips
about 20
>times in numerous posts.
>
> It is nice to see that theory and intellectual reasoning is finally
catching up
>to casual observations by experimenter/researchers of 10 years ago.  Not
that the
>theory or math proves the observations.  Quite the other way around (as
almost
>always) - solutions and working systems forces the theorists to scurry
about in
>search of reasons for seemingly disparate results found in working
systems.  They
>just gotta' fill in those blanks.
>
>Thus far, I haven't seen one of our old maxim's given the lie....Only
supposedly,
>" rediscovered" afresh by each new wave of Tesla buffs lapping up on the
shores
>of real experiment.  While it is true we offered generalizations which
left many
>thirsty for a "model" or something they could simply "plug in values and
turn the
>crank".  I still have not seen that happen to my complete satisfaction.
Lots of