[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Toroid sizing- another maxim

All,

The arc channel on a matched toroid/coil/power system  must be  a single
lone channel and not multiple arc channels at any giving moment in
time.  A coil giving the sought after single channel that braches a lot
is also a canadate for a bigger toroid.

Ideally we want all the system energy to grow and pour into a single
channel only!   The two bad extremes are of course, multiple arcs with
lots of branches or no break out at all.  The coil may be dull but it
gives the maximum spark to a grounded strike point.  We found that based
on proper power/terminal and reasonable high inducatnce resonator design
(3:1 - L/D), common 3-10 KVA two coil systems worked best with terminals
and power levels adjusted to maximum spark where the TOROIDAL terminal
was on the order of 1 to 1.5 times the resonator  winding LENGTH in
DIAMETER.  ( 48" tall coil  50"-60" diameter toroid).

This was in my old second lab note book and logged on March 10th 1991.
It is how we size in terminal capacitances on the fly.  This conclusion
was the result of about 40 hours of firing, video taping and frame by
frame analysis of arc channel formation back in the old Nemesis and
early maggey days here at TCBOR.  Dave Sharpe and Alex Tajnsek were
present on an off throughout the tests.  The power level ranges studied
were 3KVA to 13.5KVA.  Some of this activity was placed on our early
report tapes.

Richard Hull