[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT Filament Xfmrs (was Vacuum Tubes)

Steve Young wrote:
>You may be able to fix the above saturation problem by also winding
>about 30-40 turns of primary sized wire on your core and connecting
>it in seriesas an extension of your primary.  This should reduce the
>magnetizing current and still leave plenty of power for tube filaments.
> (You may need to add a turn to your filament winding.)  For safety, I
>recommend using a hack saw to "hack" off the old secondary, and
>save your hatchet for chopping wood.

Hey that sounds like a really great idea.  Those few extra turns will
really boost the inductance of the coil, reducing the magnetizing
current.  If I understand things- it will also reduce the core flux,
possibly bringing things farther away from saturation!

Thanks!

-Bill Pollack (arcstarter)