[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Some tests with a 2.25" coil (Followup, Solved?)

Below, you'll find the original message. I did some further testing tonight.
The setup was exactly the same as described below, with one exception.
I set up a 4.25 Box fan about 1 foot away from the safety gap of my
capacitor. This resulted in the most gentle of breezes blowing across it.
Fired up the coil, and ran for almost 5 minutes. During this time
the cap gap fired twice.
Checking after the run:
1) The main gap was too hot to touch [ I had to get the fan to run the test
from
   somewhere]
2) Primary coil was warm to the touch
3) Likewise the tank wiring.

So I think I finally figured out what was going on. The new enclosure for my
cap
has about 5" of headroom. But 2.5" of that is actually a trap for ionized
gas.
Apparently the HV RF present on the gap was producing enough ions to
eventually
cause breakdown.

I'll do a little more testing just to make sure, but I thought I'd fill you
all
in. Thanks for the help along the way.

[ For those that wonder, the gap is formed of 1/4-20 bolts, with acorn
  at the business end.]