[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LDPE, HDPE,rolls and bags...

Hello all,
While cruising alt.laser I came across a thread concerning cap design and
construction and after seeing several posts about the problems with
soldering to aluminium or using argon or electroplating the foil edges
with copper I decided to forward a list of links that I lifted from Mike
Hammer's web page so they wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. One other
poster also directed them to search the Tesla groups for info. His post
is found below with a link to Associated Bag Co. They appear to have a
huge variety of products and the prices seem good. They also have a very
good index of products and offer FREE catalogues that you can order from
their site and FREE SAMPLES to determine their products suitability for
your job. It struck me that they were a pretty cool company and went
above and beyond to service their "potential" customers (sorry for the
bad pun) Just thought I should pass the info along :-)
JQP

Member of C. A. U. C. E.
Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial  Email
Fight Spam     http://www.cauce-dot-org

Sam wrote...

Why not use LDPE? Low density polyethylene, commonly used in construction
etc. I've used it building several HV caps for Tesla coils and a Jacobs
ladder. Cheap, doesn't break like glass, better dielectric value, higher
breakdown voltage, etc.

Associated Bag Co. lists 3'x100'x3mil roll for $7.45US. A lot of plastic.
http://www.associatedbag-dot-com

However, it is better to make plate caps out of bags, as they are already
cut to size, just order them a bit bigger than you plan to make the
plates,
and 1/2 the thickness you need the dielectric to be. Then stick the plate
in
the bag with a bit sticking out the top for connection purposes, then
stack
the bag/plates with the mouth pointing one way, then the other. Any good
Tesla coil page will give you much more detailed directions, just search
around for one.

--Sam

Skywise wrote in message <362FAAF0.B8CD03EA-at-spamless.cwixmail-dot-com>...
>BINGO!!! I think that was the problem seeing as his new picture was even
>worse. I thought that may be what was happening but when he mentioned
>something about a 'new capacitor design' I thought that what I saw drawn
may
>in fact be what he meant.
>
>In any case, I tried a similar scenario myself, although not for a N2
laser.
It
>will work but the problem is one of size. Either I needed very large
glass
>plates to accommodate larger foil sizes or I needed a lot of glass
plates to
>make a large stack. The problem is the thickness of the glass. I find it
>difficult to find large sheets of glass that are very thin. That's why
the
PCB
>capacitor works so well. You can get a very good thin dielectric.
>
>Now, if only I can find PCB's larger than 24" x 24". Can anyone suggest
some
>sources? I've already tried the usual on-line electronics suppliers like
>Mouser, Jameco, Allied, All, JDR, Needham, Newark, HSC.....etc....

<snip>

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]