[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Positive VS negative streamer

At 05:29 PM 10/25/98, you wrote:
>At 03:51 PM 10/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Original Poster: "B**2" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>
>>
>>Hi All,
>>    Found the following information.  Seems to relate to recent
measurements.

>>Quote:
>>
>>"EXPERIMENTS CONDUCTED IN THE LABORATORY
>>
>>    To understand the basic mechanism by which the positive corona sheath
>>is neutralized by the return stroke, we conducted the following experiments
>>in the laboratory.  The potential of the central wire of a coaxial
>>cylindrical system was raised to a very high level by applying a positive
>>voltage impulse.  This pulse led to the generation of positive space charge
>
>-----------------  snip
>
>  It should be noted that the Tesla coil uses a high frequency dampened
>sine wave not a voltage impulse. So how does this post apply to Tesla coil
>operation?
>
>  John Couture

This is related to the spikes we see at the peaks of the streamer current
waveforms.  These spikes are much more likely to appear in the positive
polarity.  We think the spikes are little streamers darting out trying to
form big streamers.  See the scope pics at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/spikes.jpg

	Terry