[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MOT Experiments

Hi All,

I read the last emails on MOT experiments with interest. This pretty much
covers what I said a while ago that MOTīs arenīt really short circuit current
limited.
If you compare the magnetic shunts in a NST to those of a MOT you will find
the CSA of the NSTīs shunts is much larger.

Unlike a neon tube a magnetron is obviously not a complete short. My guess is
that is why the current limiting on the MOTs is so rotten. They just donīt
need to withstand a full short in normal use.

NSTs on the other hand must be designed this way, because the U/I curve of a
neon tube is positive. This means the more voltage you pump into it, the more
current the tube will want to take. If no current limiting where used either
the tube or xformer would blow.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard