[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Super simple beginner coils

Hi, Terry, All

Neat idea with the beginners TC. They wouldnīt be real TCīs but still the guy
or gal could find out if they are really interested in HV/HF stuff.

Xformer:
I would go for a HEI ignition coil or better yet (ferrit core) a boob toob
flyback xformer.
(cheap, easy to find, rugged)

Driver circuit suggestion:
Build up a single 555 multivibrator. Make the frequency variable. This gives
beginners something to play with, w/o getting hurt. Let the 555 drive a
darlington or better still a 4 MOSFET bridge, which in turn feeds the ig. coil
or ferrit xformer.
(cheap, easy to find, extremely rugged)

555īs are cheap and the most versatile IC, (you wouldnīt believe what I have
built with these suckers) Iīve seen.

Besides 555 and MOSFETS can take some serious mishandling before death.
(Beginners are bound to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them)

The idea of using a Poloroid film battery (or even flash batteries, like you
said) is intriging, too.
Poloroid batts are still as good as new after running the camera for the
single film. And they put out almost as much power as a NiCd if shorted. Best
of all they are free and give you 6 volts.

I have a few schematics of homemade circs and from others sources, too.
(If anyone is interested.)

Such a small beginners coil could be built for under $30-$40, no problem. That
way if it fails, or if they arenīt interested in TCīs anymore, there is no big
loss of money.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard