[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Any info available on Vacuum Gaps?

Tesla List wrote:
> Original Poster: "Dan" <dkrones-at-home-dot-com>
> Any info available on Vacuum Gaps?
>
> By "vacuum gap", I mean a spark gap where the gap itself is literally
> contained within a vacuum.  Typically the terminals are very close (.001" -
> .005").  One of the 2 electrodes is adjustable for fine tuning the gap
> distance.

IMHO, A VERY good book on Vacuum Switchgear is:

IEE Power series 18
Allan Greenwood
Vacuum Switchgear
ISBN 0 85296 855 8

I found the book from the "bargain" section of a local bookstore.
The normal price had been about 150usd, I got it for 20usd.

The book explains the theory and engineering of these things,
like vacuum breakdown, arc modes, materials to use for electrodes,
general setup etc. etc.. Definitely a MUST-READ before trying to
build or operate such switch. There are many things one would not
intuitively figure out..

  Kristian Ukkonen.