[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOTs

In a message dated 10/27/98 11:46:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< hope I could be of help,

 coiler and MOT greets from germany
 where (sob, whimper) you canīt get hold of a small pole pig,

 Reinhard

  I salvaged my first microwave oven transformer today.  It is out of a
  Whirlpool microwave, home unit, not commercial but a large oven.  Not sure
of
  the rated wattage.  The transformer says made by Korea Transformer Co.  The
  primary wire is .053" in dia. which would be about # 15 or #16 awg.  The
  secondary is about .015" in dia. which would be #26 or #27 awg.  I
understand
  I should remove the ground connection from the H.V. secondary to the core
and
  isolate it for use.  What do I do with the filament transformer windings
  located between the primary and secondary?  Just cut the ends off and forget
  about it?  I don't see how I could get it apart to get them out, the core is
  welded together.

  The core is an E core measuring 3.25" high, 2.18" wide and 3.75" long.  It
  weighs a little over 8 lbs.  I can't see any shunts in the core but they
 could
  be there.  What would the MOT experts out there expect this transformer to
be
  rated at?  How do you find out if it is shunted - try the jacobs ladder test
  and see if the lights go out?

  Ed Sonderman

Reinhard,

Thanks, I did measure the turns ratio and get 20:1.  This should produce a
secondary voltage of 2,400 volts.  I also tested it using a 800 w heat lamp
for ballast and can draw about 3/8" sparks off the H.V. terminal to the case.

Ed Sonderman