[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Argon, Fruengel, sparkgaps oh my!

At 06:41 AM 9/1/98 PDT, you wrote:
>Hi Jim, others
SNIP.....

>The local welding shop charges me $23.53 to refill a 125 cu ft tank (a
>standard ~4-ft tall cylinder) with welding-grade argon (99%).  A 15-yr
>lease on one tank is $130 or so - not too expensive, and typically
>returnable (although pro-rated).  I have such a tank for TIG welding
>(and other diversions!).
>
>You will find that your local welding shop can provide you with many
>amusing gasses including He, various Ar/He mixes, H, and others...
>
>-Bill the arcstarter

	One should also get a regulator ($50-$100).  The 2000 PSI raw gas pressure
can be very dangerous to "play" with without one.  Also, larger tanks will
need to be delivered and mounted according to local laws.  The gas supplier
can fill one in on the details.  High pressure gas tanks need to be handled
carefully!  Very small cylinders are available too.  Check around.

Apparently, helium is available in small cans for filling balloons for
parties and such.  These are simple ~5 ft^3 aerosol cans that are available
at places where party supplies are sold.  I haven't found them yet in my
area but they are supposed to be out there.

	Terry Fritz