[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Spark Gap Gasses Experiment

> Original Poster: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> Interestingly, though, Air seemed to work better in trigatrons
> (triggered spark gaps) for radar use. Something about the O2 being there
> helping quench the arc.  Craggs & Meek talk about this a bit, as does
> Fruengel.

Jim, this must be some older technology. I have been working with
radar from a few kwatts to 5 megawatts for the past 10 years and have never
heard
of a trigatron.  I had to go look it up. :^)  Interesting though.  I imagine
the
Varian switch tubes now do the same function.  This could also be used as a
crowbar switch, also.  Actually, by definition, I think some of our crowbar
switches may
be trigatrons.  I just never heard anyone call them that.  I'll have to
check with some
of the REAL old timers around here.

Russ Thornton
CSR 2040,