[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Helium? Is it really?

It was written:

> The Helium for filling balloons that I mentioned comes in a box
>along with some balloons and fittings. The cannister of helium looks
>identical in size and shape to a freon cannister. ( like a small
>barbecue grill propane tank ) The valve even looks the same. I bought
>one for $17 on sale at a K-Mart.  The local welding supply had a
>larger tank for $25 (also for blowing up balloons) that I could use
>rent free for two weeks.

Beware here.  The gas sold for balloons is rarely pure helium, but is
often helium "watered-down" with other stuff (N?) until it just floats
enough to be convincing, yet cheap!

It always pays to know for sure what you are getting for your money!

I also think that since we only have a finite supply of helium on the
earth, that using it for balloons is some sort of sin.  But my
conscience could tolerate using it in sparkgaps! :)

-Bill