[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Electroplating

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Max,
>    I don't think you should have to worry about nickel carbonyl formation
from
> a plating process.  I have been studying and performing tests on the plating

Hi mike; I'm quite sure you're right about there being negligible danger
from nickel carbonyl while plating. During the plating process, we'd
largely have only concern with toxicity problems, which are tricky, but
not uncontrollable with nickel.

The problem with nickel carbonyl is not in the plating, but in the
intended use of the plated object. Nickel carbonyl has been known to form
in the presence of metallic nickel, CO2, and certain high energy
environments. The plating of a Tesla Coil discharge terminal may bring
all three of these together, as the nickel contacts atmospheric CO2,
that's been "revved up" to a plasma by the discharge streamer.

I'd love to see this speculation properly resolved; it is just a
speculation. But the stuff is so fearsomely toxic, that I'm not sure
how amateur chemists might make the determination. Still, I remain
hopeful.

Wes B.

* wesb-at-spectra-dot-net *       "It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...       *
*                  *          ..Let's go exploring."     - Calvin           *