[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Very High Freq. TCs and MICROWAVE WEAPONS...

>Ok Sam maybe you are right about the 1GHz coil being a bit extreme and
>likely dangerous but it should still be possible to push the frequency
>of a TC a good deal before you needed to deal with the problems of
>very short wavelengths and the associated directivity and waveguide
>issues. I should have stressed that I really meant to simply increase
>the frequency at most 2 or 3 orders of magnitude to the RF range and
>not to put it all the way into the microwave region. I was
>exaggerating about 1 GHz but in light of your earlier CW Microwave
>experiment I can see why you would be concerned for my safety.
>Hmmm now that you mention it I do have a small parabolic dish and a
>1000 watt magnetron on the self over there and we are going to have a
>weenie roast up at work next week. Bye, got to go, lots of things to
do.

>Steve
>adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com
>Dallas Texas

 Yeah, I guess you CAN build a TC resonating at higher frequencies than
usual... The question is: Is it worth it? Not for me... Because the
higher the frequency, the smaller the secondary, and the smaller the
secondary, the more power-limited it will be (i.e. the less power it
will be able to handle before it starts arcing to the ground).
 I would go for the big coils... I myself have an 8inch diameter
secondary. Talk about power! That baby can handle over a million volts!
 Anyway, if you do try the MW gun... Make sure that the parabolic is
grounded on a common ground to the magnetron. Otherwise it will develop
a very high potential and become fireworks... I did it myself and it
cost me a new oven... (magnetrons cost about $20 or $50 less than a new
oven, so if you fry one, you'd be better off buying a new oven and
keeping the transformer and cap for experiments)...