[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Variations On TC Topologys?

Ok here is a hopefully much less controversial question on TC
topologys. In a TC "standard model" you have the following circuit.
First you have a fairly high voltage power supply such as a NST or MOT
and then a capacitance parallel to that voltage supply. Then you have
a series spark gap that leads to the primary which is simply a shunt
inductance to ground. That simple circuit completes the standard
topology of the primary side of a TC as I am familiar with it. Now the
real question I have is that I have seen a nomber of TC schematics on
different web pages that instead of simply having a shunt inductance
to ground where the primary is in the standard model they instead have
a series L C circuit to ground in that location. I assume that in this
topology the series LC elements now resonate at the same frequency as
the secondary. What do you call this type of TC and are there any
advantages to this sort of design? Are any of you aware of any other
common variations to the standard models? What is a "Magnifier TC"
that I have read so much about? It wouldn't happen to be the circuit I
just described would it?

I am not allergic to any FAQs that may be out there on these sorts of
basic questions. Just give me the URLs and I will be on my merry way.

Steve Ivy
adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com