[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Gasses Experiment

>pink color.  Much like freshly etched copper.  If nitrogen could be used
>make an inert gap, it would provide a gas which would me much easier to
>find :-))  I believe that you can burn a candle or other flammable
>substance in an enclosed space to remove the oxygen.  If the remaining
>products (nitrogen, argon, CO2, water vapor, etc. will not damage the
>copper, then we would have a very simple way to provide an "inert" gas
for
>a spark gap!

If you were trying that one there would be even very easy ways for
removing
CO2: just put some lime solution (sodium hydroxide or some other base
dissolved in water). That would react with CO2 dissolved in water.

(I say react with dissolved CO2 instead of the acid resulting as a CO2
water
reaction because there is more dissolved CO2 than acidic compound in
water. I say this even though the reaction does involve water.)

If you do this in closed contaner beware of the pressure change. Air has
considerable amount of CO2 and it will be removed to a substantial extent.
Give it the required time to react too. Use some of the common drying
agents
to remove water vapor if needed.

So,  why bother? This was just a trick you can do for a quick test without
buying a huge canister of nitrogen gas. Easy thing to do at home. Almost
everyone making PCBs at home has lime for developing exposured PCBs.

Has anyone tried out gaps at higher preassure? I'd assume quenching
would get better as the recombination time of the ions were lowered.
Higher
preassure would most surely do that. At higher preassure the atoms are
packed more closely and possibility of collitions needed for recombination
would rise.

This would then lead to question about losses which I'm not able to
estimate.
Ion movement or electron movement in the gap is not a thing I know about.
Has anyone run into info weather the current in different medias is passed
by ionic movement (or electron movement) or by "passing the current
through
an atom chain" like moving an electron from one atom to another?

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus