[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Building a New Magnifier

Hello all,

   Thanks to Richard H. and all of you for your comments on the potential
x-former supply.
    I want to build a new Magnifier and I would like your comments on my
tentative design.
    The supply will be a 3KVA 14.4 KV ballasted potential transformer with
by-pass caps and safety gap.  The RF transformer will be 24" in dia. with a
winding length of 30".  I will use 14 gauge stranded power type wire with
THHN insulation.  I plan on having each turn separated by 100 lb. test
fishing line to keep even spacing and increase standoff.  The primary will
be 3-4 turns of 1/2" copper tubing spaced as close to the secondary as I
can get it;appx. 2".  The secondary will be able to raise and lower to
adjust the coupling.  The tank cap is 0.08mf -at- 75 KV (pulsed type) and
driven by a 560 bpps (max) rotory gap.
    The resonator will be a 10" dia. 36" acrylic tube with a winding length
of 30" of 20 gauge magnet wire.  The toroid will be 36" x 10" dryer duct type.
    Now I have a few questions that I would appreciate guidance in:  Should
I pot the RF transformer in polyurethane? Is the fishing line a good idea?
For the resonator is 20 gauge too big or should I use something smaller a
decrease the ratio to 2:1, or just keep it at 3:1?  Should I put my cap and
rotory gap away from under the RF transformer?  Is acrylic a reasonable
choice for both of the forms?  Is wood good enough for the support structures?
    I know these are allot of questions and I apologize.  I think I have a
good idea of what I want but these fine details have been plaguing me in my
past designs and I would like to build this one like a pro.

Thanks again for any help.

Dwight