[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oven elements arent cheap

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> It was written:
> >I got quoted on some used 2000 watt oven elements... down at the
> >appliance shop they quoted me 15 dollars each.  if i buy eight (which
> >I need) they will knock it down to ten dollars each.  Is this
> >reasonable anyone?
>
> Not very reasonable in my book.  Mendelsson's sells 1000 W 240 v Calrod
> stove elements for $2/ea.  (Mail order)
>
> http://www.meci-dot-com - ask for a catalog, or if you are dying for them,
> I'll scan the ad and stick it on my site for you.
>
> Hey - does anyone know where to get ceramic HV insulators??

You mean like ones that a rod a few inches long and an inch in diameter?
Fair Radio Sales has them, as does RF Parts in San Marcos CA.

If you want the big ones (like used for power lines), check out the
local utility recycle/scrap yard. Here in Los Angeles, the Dept of Water
and Power sells them for the metal value (the steel mounting plate) at
around 50 cents each. Bring cash and a truck to carry them home. Bear in
mind that porcelain is basically glass: chipped corners and edges are
sharp and cut just like broken glass (as I found after neatly slicing my
gloves and my hand with a minimum of pain and fuss). Pallet fulls for
the taking.