[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Condenser function, secondary risetime

<<<< This subject is getting very OT (Off Topic).  Unless it is relevant to
Tesla coils, I will start rejecting posts on it. - Terry >>>>

Hi Malcom,

(Here are a few more slightly OT observations of spark behavior. Or maybe
they're not OT at all... I can see an analog to TC spark gaps here.)

>And as I found out when the one in my car went open circuit (!!?), it
>also significantly affects spark timing. There seems to be both a
>tuning thing coupled with risetime tailoring going on.

How interesting... I'd never noticed THAT. I would guess that it caused the
timing to advance, as the secondary risetime would be shorter due to the
loss of delay from the condenser. Was that the effect?

I've noted other interesting things as well, for instance:

1)  Widening plug gaps retards timing.
2) Wide plug gaps = warm-blooded, small plug gaps = cold-blooded
3) Higher power ignitions 'fix' cold-blooded behavior by allowing one to
open the plug gaps up.
4) A fouled plug may frequently be cleared by removing it's HV wire and
holding the wire 1/2-2 inches away from the plug terminal as the engine is
revved.

Number 4 is a bit puzzling. I assume this is due to the fact the the HV
must rise furhter to jump the extra gap. But still, plug fouling is due to
a conductive path forming between the center and outer electrodes. Higher
voltages would only tend to conduct BETTER to ground through this path. Is
it possible that the energy is sufficient to blast away the path (which is
likely a form of carbon)?

Bill Layer
Sales Technician
<b.layer-at-vikingelectronics-dot-com>

Viking Electronics, Inc.
1531 Industrial St.
Hudson, WI. 54016 - U.S.A
715.386.8861 ext. 210
<http://www.vikingelectronics-dot-com>

"Telecommunications Solutions for the 21st Century"