[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: You use a utility transformer?!

Hi Ed,

At 07:57 PM 9/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
SNIP............
>Terry:
>
>	I agree that an NST won't cook you, and that a distribution transfomer
>surely could.  However, seems to me that I have read (in connection with
>the introduction of ground fault indicators in house systems) of studies
>indicating that currents much less than 100 ma can cause ventricular
>fibrillation and resulting death if not treated immediately.  In my
>Lindsay books' "Neon Signs" by Fink (circa 1935) the statement is made
>that NST's don't put out enough current to kill, and that the main
>danger in getting across one would be that of falling off the sign.  I
>sure don't want to test that theory.  Is there someone on the list who
>has enough knowledge on the subject to enlighten us?  Should be a
>subject of considerable interest.

SNIP............

>	Point of all this is that NST's CAN be lethal, at least under some
>circumstances, and should be treated with as much respect as their
>bigger brothers.
>
>Ed

	How much current, applied what way, and under what circumstances will
produce death is not a simple question.  It all depends....  We have all
seen those charts of what currents produce what effects on the human body
but that "often copied but never duplicated" data, can only be considered
as loosely typical (I won't mention were those "studies" came from).

	Much as with any other injury, it depends on the health, age, and all
kinds of other variables.  I would not trust the 60 year old Miller/Fink
book to provide electrical safety information.  Also, beware that the
majority of neon transformers are lower power than the 15kV 60mA ones we
like to use.   The story that B**2 provided about the person who grabbed
the live neon transformer and the surveyors pretty much tells of the
different effects of the two types of accidents.  Also, because a neon may
not kill you, doesn't mean it won't injure you!

	The coiler who grabbed the neon probably had nerve damage and swelling
that resulted in the temporary paralysis of his arms.  Nothing a few weeks
of rest and physical therapy can't fix.  A little more current and the same
paralysis could have effected his heart and lungs.....  A 60 mA neon can
certainly kill you but your chances are good that you will live through it
with moderate injuries.

BTW...  I notice that we had a number of responses from people that heard
of others getting shocked by high current 14.4kV circuits but no "personal"
accounts were posted..... :-(

Apparently, there are some who have been shocked by neons who are still
posting.... :-)

Still a yucky (but important) subject!  I was eating lunch when I read the
one about the surveyors :-(~

Can we change the subject now....

	Terry Fritz