[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
> At 07:59 PM 9/8/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
> >
> ><SNIP>
> >
> >> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> I believe the long or short sparks depend on the potential available.
> Obviously the potential is varying with typical TC operation. This is why I
> recommend controlled sparks. This pins down the potential and the spark
> length and greatly simplifies analysis.

I'm not so sure the long and short sparks depend on the
available potential (at least the way I think of
potential). Could you expand on your hypothesis here? I
believe the long and short sparks depend on the energy
available/released when the potential reaches breakout,
or the pressure of the breakout.

> I believe that initiating a spark and the driving factor for the spark are
> two different aspects of spark formation.

Agreed! Initiating a spark we are familiar with. Driving
a spark is the spark-length affect of which we observe,
but cannot yet explain mathematically. This drive must
be understood to know how a toroids capacitance/size
plays this significant role in spark-length.

> The spark represents energy. When the spark lengthens, it could mean a gain
> in energy.

This is an interesting hypothesis. If Ctop corresponds
to energy gain (either in watts or efficiency), I wonder
if spark formation time changes with energy potential? I
might be way off on that one, but it seems as I turn up
the juice, the spark channels are not only longer,
brighter, and loader, but faster (for the same bps). I
may be way out on a limb, but it does make me wonder.

Bart