[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT saturation tests II

In a message dated 9/8/98 9:45:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 I'm surprised that removing the shunts really didn't do anything to the
 behavior of the transformer!  The main difference is a slightly
 increased current draw at the higher voltages.

 At this point I can only guess that the purpose of the shunts was to
 limit the current flowing into the secondary (just like a NST or
 welder).  It seems that, as far as using MOTs as current limiting
 devices for pigs, the shunts really have little or no effect.

 Comments invited!

 -Bill

Bill,

I haven't tried it, but I would guess that you would use a microwave oven
transfromer as a current limiting inductor just as you would a welder.  Leave
it intact, short the outputs and run the current to be limited through the
primary - and the shunts should come into play.

Ed Sonderman