[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: New fangled flexigap?

> Hey Will,
>  I think you are onto something new - the flexi-gap!
>
> I've not heard of this before...
>
> Good luck with the beers.  Will you soon be trying out any other
> hydrocarbon solvents?? :)

	<snip>

> Original Poster: "Payne, Will E" <will.e.payne-at-lmco-dot-com>
>
> Last night I glued 13 RQ electrodes on a strip of 1/8 in thick
> glass-composite salvaged from a yard transformer. I spaced the gaps at
> 0.008, and by bending the strip, I can get the gaps up to about 0.050
> and still have them fairly uniform.  I had several beers in me by the
> time the glue was applied, plus irregular edges on my shims from the
> tin snips kinda skewed my spacing a bit.

	<snip>

	The tweaked spacing on the gaps measures 0.008 +/- 0.002 unflexed.
	I can flex the strip and get them out to 0.040 with +/- 0.005 with
care.
	The trick to uniform expansion seems to be to torque the ends of the

	strip and compress it longitudinally, rather like an archer's bow,
instead
	of pushing from beneath.

	Due to domestic issues, neither the beer nor the TC received much
	attention last night, but I shall return !!

	Will