[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High Current Battery Powered TC supply.

Ok here goes another one. I am sure that a lot of you have tried
shorting a common 9 volt radio battery across the terminals of a MOT.
I am also sure that you noticed the great big spark that you get when
you quickly pull the battery back off. The same thing is true of any
large inductor, V=L*(di/dt), you know the drill. Well my idea is to
make a beefy series circuit consisting of a regular 12 volt car
battery, some sort of a bullet proof high current transistor and, a
big high current high voltage rated  inductor shunted to ground. Now
as you clock the transistor on and off the inductor will at first be
charged with current and then as that current is quickly turned off
the inductor will generate a big pulse of negative high voltage
energy. This pulse could be used to drive another circuit that expects
a high voltage input in this case say a series LC circuit to ground
where the L in this tank is also the primary of a TC. Obviously in
that portion of the circuit the LC should  be resonant at the same
frequency as the secondary of the TC. The most obvious failure
mechanism for the suggested circuit is that the flyback voltage
generated across the first inductor will try to fry my transistor so I
suppose some sort of diode protection or safety gap is in order but I
haven't quite figured out what it needs yet. I don't want a real lossy
sort of safety mechanism. I know all this is just a simplistic current
hog of a switching power supply except that I want to drive the whole
thing at some multiple of the resonant frequency of the standard TC
secondary.

So What do you all think? Does the idea have potential?

Steve
adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com