[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: What is CW?

To Brian:
CW stands for Continuous Wave. This type of tank circuit used to drive a
coil is
usually (not necessarily) associated with vacuum tube or various solid
state oscillators.
The spark gap coils produce a dampened wave in their tank circuit. There
are quite
a few pictures of this wave shape pointed to in this lists archives. Each
tank circuit
will produce a coil that has different performance characteristics. I
suggest you pick
up one or more of the excellent books produced by some of the list members.
As a
Prof...my suggestion is to do some homework. If you understand the
difference and
can explain it, then you are in a good position to safely build some neat
coils that
likely will work well. There is safety in knowledge and some of the
ludicrous postings
I have recently seen, literally scare the hell out of me! I am fairly new
to this list, however,
I suspect the "old timers" would agree. I don't apologize for my
pontification. Safe coiling.
John

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Department Chair of Computer Science and Mathematics
Aurora University, Aurora IL 60506
Original Poster: Brian Le Page <brian.le_page-at-virgin-dot-net>

Could someone please tell me what CW means. I have seen it quite alot
recently on the list and was hoping that it's meaning would become
obvious. No luck there!

Dr B.