[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Adjusting NST

 I am working on a project where I need a high voltage power supply that
delivers it at standard alternating current at 60-cycle  frequency, so
hence a simple step-up transformer like an NST suits this purpose.
However, I have some problems with the
>> high current output of an NST.  I need an output of very high
voltage,
>> at low current, at 60 hz.  So here's what I intend to do:  Can somone
>> read this and let me know if this is possible with an NST?
>>     My simple arrangement calls for three parts: a transformer which
>> takes direct wall outlet current and steps it down to a safer level
of
>> about 25 volts, 2 amperes, another transformer which then takes this
50
>> watts and steps it up to approx. 300 volts at low current, and then
>> finally the NST itself.  Can the NST be powered by this 300 volts,
>> thereby theoretically developing very high voltage, but at a "safer"
low
>> current?
>> Obviously, this output would most likely be useless for any sort of
>> Tesla Coil, but the experiment I am working on requires a "safe" very
>> high voltage alternating current, (say, 50 kv) at low amps.  Is this
>> possible?
>> Thanks!  Chris T.
>>
>> P.S.  I hope it does work.  I can't just use a Tesla Coil for this,
>> becaue the frequency is too high.  I need something at 60 Hertz!

 If it's a 110V neon and you run it at 300V the insulation will break
down...
 Why don't you use something smaller, like a ignition coil or a flyback?
They'll put out over 20KV at a safe amperage. My ignition coil circuit
puts out 60KV and cost me some 20 dollars...