[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> John F,

> Quick question. Is it true that if the toroid is too

> large, that breakout will not occur? It sounds like your

> saying that a toroid can be too large and sparklength
> may be smaller than a smaller toroid of correct size.
>
> Bart

Bart, i do believe that if a toroid is too large that it will absorb the
discharges into it's capacitance, hindering output.  i have tried this with my
60 mA coil and it holds true.  i am using a cheap salt water cap that gloes
like
a light when operating... which is my major loss factor of my system.  this in
effect limits my discharge length to about 15".  put a toroid on top, and
spark
length is about 4" at most.

cabbott