[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

John H. Couture wrote:

>   I think you are taking too much for granted by assuming the TC primary
> cap energy is not changing when the breaks are changed. This parameter
> should actually be measured. However, I agree that the spark length depends
> on the number of breaks.

I agree that this parameter should actually be measured.
I did it, with a HV probe and a scope.  You should too.

>   In my TC Construction Guide I show the following equation (modified) -
>   watts seconds = .5 x Cp x Vp^2 x BKS/EFF
>   It is obvious from this equation that the total watt seconds will
> increase as the breaks increase and the sparks increase.

I'm sorry, but this equation is totally wrong.  The quantity
(0.5 x Cp x Vp^2 x BKS/EFF) has the units of watts, not watt-seconds.
The rest of your derivations that follow from this equation
will therefore require correction.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org