[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Since I have been involved in this discussion, I will make *my*
> definition of "bang" 200% clear: A bang starts when the gap first
> conducts and ceases when the gap ceases to conduct. The trace on the
> oscilloscope makes it abundantly clear that the secondary is doing
> nothing for most of the time between bangs in a sparking coil. The
> energy loss will not permit it.
>
> Now, back to coiling...
> Malcolm
<snippage>

Malcolm,

It appears that your definition of 'bang' and my own differ slightly.  I
consider the term synonymous with the acoustical event which accompanies
a spark gap going from a non-conducting to conducting state.  I suspect
that most of this acoustical 'bang' occurs on the sharp vertical rise of
current through the gap and much less so after the plasma channel has
formed and stabilized.  Hence in 'my definition of bang', assuming that
the sound pressure wave pretty much ends ends after the sharp vertical
leading edge of gap current conduction occurs, there can still be a
closed primary oscillatory circuit (ionized gap) processing an
oscillatory ringdown after the bang.

Since one purpose of this forum is to pick at the tinyest of technical
points, I invite comments.  Any ion acoustical wave experts (if that's
the correct term) out there?

I guess if a totally encapsulated solid state switch were employed
instead of a spark gap, we could be talking about a 'click' size.
Furthermore, the primary inductor definitely creates acoustical output
from mechanical motion when clobbered by a large electrical pulse!  I've
also 'heard' T-03 silicon transistors 'sing'.  If you ever get the
chance to go into an AM radio station's tuning hut at the base of the
antenna tower and they are crankin' at least 10 kW you will hear
metallic sounding speech and music coming from the large silver plated
copper tubing, air cored tuning coils.  It is very etherial.

Robert W. Stephens