[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High Current Battery Powered TC supply.

>Why would you want to do this? A 9 volt battery is never going to have
>enough power to do much more than power a stun gun.

 The charged cascade can put out far more power than you'd expect. I got
a VERY painfull schok from it 30 minutes after I shut the power down and
grounded the HV lead (they really store a lot of charge).
 Then 10KV out from the transformer itself is actually powerfull enough
to fry insects!
 You are forgetting that if a battery can supply 100mA hour, it can also
supply 1A for 10 minutes (depending on the kind of battery)...

 Would you want to use
>batteries for portability? By the time you get enough batteries
together
>(100's of pounds worth?) wouldn't you be better off using a
conventional
>coil and a generator?
>
>Im sure it could be done, but is it worth the trouble?
>
>Chris

 I used batteries because I wanted portability, and a cascade really
doesn't need too much power to run (I burned my best cascade by
connecting it to my 1300W MOT).
 This was just a test. I plan to scale it up and try to power a 220V in,
9V out, 10A transformer in reverse supplied by the mains. If I can get
the insulation to hold it should make a good TC supply...
 Anyone tried this before?
 I think the transformer may eventually suffer insulation breakdown.
Specially in TC service. But Hey, I am DESPERATE FOR A POWER SOURCE!!!
 You can't get NSTs in Holland, you know...

 Sam.