[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 9/18/98 4:29:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> >  The best we might do to hit this on
> >  single phase is run pure, ultra stiff, DC!  A costly choice, but it
> >  could be done.
> Why does the DC have to be so pure??? It would be cheap enough to build a
non-
> ripplefree supply with 8020 or 705A tubes, say a 30kv supply. That would
give
> you 3 kw of power per tube (or a 20 kv supply at 2 kw per tube).
>
> jim heagy

Jim,

The whole idea of the post was to allow BPS rates to cover a huge range with a
variable speed gap.   With unfiltered or lightly filtered DC you could be in a
deep voltage slump or sag of ripple when a presentation was made.
Remember, we
don't have the advantage of three phase here.  There is a vast no man's
land of
16.6 ms on half wave rectified, unfiltered DC and 8.3ms of time in full
wave un
filtered systems.  A lot of bangs could be squeezed into those valleys, if
they
just were not there.  With no filtering, half wave DC would be much worse than
AC!!!  Full wave rectification, without filtering, would be virtually
equivalent
to ACoperation!  Only with ripple free DC would the max break rate be
achieved.
It would even beat three phase!! But only marginally within the real world
sense
of Tesla activitiies.

Richard Hull, TCBOR