[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Hi Bill,

> Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Malcolm wrote:
> >Since I have been involved in this discussion, I will make *my*
> >definition of "bang" 200% clear: A bang starts when the gap first
> >conducts and ceases when the gap ceases to conduct. The trace on the
> >oscilloscope makes it abundantly clear that the secondary is doing
> >nothing for most of the time between bangs in a sparking coil. The
> >energy loss will not permit it.
>
> Malcolm,
>  Have you ever quantified a typical voltage or energy left in the
> primary cap once the gap ceases to conduct?  Terry?  Anyone?

Varies a little from one primary shot to another but generally just a
few percent at most. The moment quench is effected, the cap is once
again in the grip of the power supply. Particular gaps seem to like
going out at particular voltages so for a given gap, capacitance will
have a say in this as well. Still just several percent at most.

Malcolm