[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Our friend the FCC

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:19:33 -0600 Jim Monte
<JDM95003-at-UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU> wrote:

>  Realistically, I don't see what the FCC has to gain by condoning a
>  Tesla coil project.  While they are surely popular among the readers
>  of this list, how may people subscribe, around 500 or so worldwide?
>  How many million people in the USA alone spend their evenings
>  staring at a TV?  I just can't see how the coilers can win it they
press the
>  issue.  So I would have to say that is best not to involve the FCC
>  either directly by asking or indirectly by causing excessive RFI.
>  Yes, this does seem to be a pretty big gamble if you are designing
>  an MVA-sized coil.  It seems to be a no-win situation.

There are several things you good people are overlooking! First the FCC
already has "Official" statements concerning what they will tolerate and
what they wont in terms of
any transmitted signal. By looking at the FCC regulations covering the
frequency of the Coil in question you will see just how strong a signal
you can or can't transmit. Most Tesla coils don't transmit enough to
constitute interference and in those that do exceed the FCC regulations
it shouldn't take much effort to get the transmitted signal down below
the level the FCC stipulates, either by changing the coils loading or in
a worse case situation operating the coil inside a grounded Faraday
shield.

                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]