[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Here pig pig pig (wheels)

It was written:
>Original Poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> Original Poster: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>>
>> .
>> >
>> > I'm going to have to find some sort of wheeled platform for this
thing
>> >to sit on.  Either that or I'll put wheels on the pallet and call it
>> >done!!
>>
>> Try a 12" x 12" sheet of 3/4" plywood with 4, 2" caster wheels
attached to
>> one side.  2" caster wheels are available in swivel and non swivel
for about
>> $2.50 each at Lowe's lumber yard.  300 lb. transformer divided by 4
wheels
>> means each wheels has to hole up 75 lbs.  I used 1.5" casters on mine
and it
>> works fine and didn't case me and arm and a leg.

Well the diameter is about 16 inches.... :)  I don't think 12x12 would
cut it!

>I'd go a bit bigger than 12x12, depending on where the CG is. You
>want the base big enough so that when you push on the top of it
>(rolling it around, and the caster hits a tiny rock, that it doesn't
tip
>over.
>
>Alternately, weld up a box of square steel tubing or angle and who
>cares if it falls over, at least the insulators won't hit the ground
and
>break.
>

>You might also contemplate making the base triangular and using
>three casters.

Well - as it turns out - moving the thing around the garage isn't really
as hard as I thought.  Since it has a circular bottom - I can just sort
of "roll" it on edge, like you would do to a barrel.

Presently I'm leaving then wheels off of it!

-Bill
(haven't applied more than 100 watts to it yet - whimp!)