[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid sizes

At 12:28 22/09/98 -0600, John Freau wrote:

>Did the number of simultaneous streamers decrease?  if so, how
>many were there with the small toroid and how many now?
>
>Nice work and results, and sorry about the eviction.

With the 6x18" toroid breakout was immediate/continuous and wild, as
evidenced by the time-lag shots on my web-site, but usually one streamer.
Worked on the theory that the coil must have adequate energy to support
larger load, hence the new toroid.

Breakout is not as instantaneous & I now *do need* the forced-air aspect of
the spark gap (presumably quenching is more difficult now) to get started.
Still single streamer but gets interrupted with periods of nothing (very
brief).  For the first time have got ground strikes a good 3' from the
coil, which has to be in the 5-6' range.

As for the eviction, there was a little more to this than I stated ;-)

I used to run the coil on the patio.  Now this sounds OK, but there is a
string of "party lights" which run around the perimeter and the odd
pot-plant.  Any normal day these are not connected and usually slightly
out-of-reach.  Well ...... you guessed it, one dead garage remote, one dead
modem,  a somewhat savaged fichus and the ever recurring failure of the
house alarm ...... OOPS    :-(

When my new cap is finished will put up some running shots.

Cheers,

Mark

http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis