[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: COIL FORM FOR MONSTER BL COIL

Cabbott,
is there a reason you don't want to use a pvc form of
some type? It would definately reduce the build effort.
On my way to work the last few weeks, I've driven by
some local road work. There appears to be several "green
in color" pvc (or similar) tubes, which might be scrap.
Some of the larger ones look to be about 24" x 144". I
plan to stop and ask a few questions (I'm sure you can
guess what my questions are <grin>). Where are you
located. If it turns out that it's free for the taking,
maybe I can (somehow) get one to you.
Bart

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net>
>
>  For those of you who dont know, i am building a 24"d.x84" tall secondary
out
> of #10 wire. I have all the parts i need exept the coil form.   I have an
idea
> on how to make the coil form.  here it is:
>
> I could buy (12) 12' lengths of 2x2 lumber, and arrange them circularly
into a
> 24" diameter 10 foot tall tube (I saw an image of tesla's that looked
similar)

> To hold them together, i'll take 4 plywood circles (two on top, two on
bottom)
> with cut-outs for each 2x2 to fit nicely in a circle 24" od.
>
> I would heat up the wood strips to get all the moisture out.  Then I'd get a
> BUNCH of paraffin wax, heat it up with an iron and drip it on the wood frame
> sections. I'd iron it on all the wood to make it adhere and soak in. This
> should protect the sections from moisture.  I could also coat the top and
> bottom circular plywood sections.  Moisture would not be absorbed into the
> wood, but would rather just collect on it and drip to the floor (if it ever
> got
> that moist) and evaporate.
>
> After the "tube" is complete and all assembled together (finishing nails?
wood