[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

3 Pahse Rotary Gap

> >Of course there is an alternative to using a 6-pulse
> >rectifier stack -- THE 3-PHASE ROTARY GAP.  <8^O
>
> OK ........ I'll bite .......... what exactly is this beast ??

Imagine that each of your 3 HT secondaries had its own primary
capacitor.  The 3-PHASE ROTARY GAP would be synchronized to
switch each cap into the primary only at its peak voltage point,
of which there are now six per cycle (2 peaks per cycle per phase).
This provides the advantage of 360PPS operation with every firing
at the peak transformer voltage, and no rectifiers.  Although this
gap is not speed variable, one could operate at 240BPS or 120BPS
selectively by inhibiting one or more of the phases with a contactor:

CONTACTOR 1 - 1/3 POWER
CONTACTOR 2 - 2/3 POWER
CONTACTOR 3 - FULL POWER

With this setup, no variacs OR motor speed controls are required.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org