[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MOT to NST "extra transformer"

Hi All,
	I am going to get a MOT to play with and a thought occurred to me today.

Most MOTs (microwave oven transformers) put out about 2000 volts at 300 mA.
 The voltage is too low and current too high for most TC applications.
However, how hard would it be to make a transformer to bring it to a nice
level?  Perhaps a 2000V/300mA primary and a 12000V/50mA secondary.  Since
the turns ratio would only be six to one, there should be room to use
insulated 24 gauge wire on the secondary which would make it almost burnout
proof (in oil).  In fact, two or more MOTs could be used to drive this
"extra transformer".  The current protection in the original MOT should
function normally (I think).
	Since the number of secondary turns is much less than say a 120v to 15000v
transformer, such an extra transformer would be much easier for the average
person to wind.  With 24 gauge insulated wire in oil with poly between
layers, It would be burnout proof no matter how hard it was hit.  It would
still need to be rated for 900VA and one would have to do a little design
work but this may solve the problem of not being able to get HV
transformers in certain countries and all that.

Comments?

	Terry Fritz