[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help please

I would avoid Zinc for many reasons:

a: Zn has a very high vapor pressure, at 600 to 900 ° C. it vaporizes, in
fact, it is one of the few metals that is purified by distillation.
Probably, the electrodes would vaporize rapidly. Zinc fumes, while not very
dangerous if the Zn is pure, may contain the chemical cousin -cadmium-
which is a very potent toxic.

b:I have a rather old rotary spark gap which was used in the lab of a Zinc
smelter-refiner for generating high frequency sparks (by a Tesla-Coil like
transformer)  for spark analysis of the zinc metal they produced . The gap
itself uses tungsten bar for the electrodes......

Good luck, Neil

Federico Price