[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Possible HV shielding

>Coil.  So, would it not make sense to somehow shield the connections
>from accidental contact?  Would it be of some benefit, for example, to
>place a simple thick glass or plastic transparent shield of some sort
>over the output terminals of an NST?  This may prevent the accidental

Yes, that indeed makes sense. However, most accidents happen when
the enclosure is opened for adjustments, modification or maintainance!
Adjusting primary tap might also be more difficult to do if the primary is
in some large heavy plastic container.

Still, it makes very much sense and is definately the way I'd do for
something else than a quick prototype. Unfortunately coiling has a lot
of experimenting which might be very difficult with everything shielded.
Just imagine the frustration when you find out the component you were
about to test would not fit inside the enclosure etc. That is propably the
reason open systems are so common!

>     Obviously, this offers no protection from corona leakage from wires

So? Use wires like large coaxials with the outer connector (shield)
heavily grounded. No leakage will miss the grounded shield. Problems
will arise with very long cables which might tend to act resonators.

Safest (and simplest!) method is just not to go too near any hv circuit
when it is operating.

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus