[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV wiring

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Mike Nolley <mnolley-at-mail.slc.edu>
>
> I would NOT reccomend using spark plug wire-- it is essentially made out of
> carbon, is highly resistive, and when attached to anything with any degree
> of power, gets very, very hot.
True if it is "suppression" cables (the normal kind)

If you get solid core wire (e.g. from a hot-rod shop), which is copper
cored.

It runs about $.50 to $1.00 a foot (substantially more than GTO15 neon
sign wire), but, it is good to 40 kV, and it is much more tough
mechanically (particularly when you solder to it: The polyethylene on
the GTO15 melts real easily).

I use a lot of RG-8 (or RG-213) coax as high voltage cable. Very cheap
surplus (even if the outer jacket is all thrashed, you can strip it and
the shield off, and just use the polyethylene insulated inner part).