[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC Supply

> Original Poster: Mark Finnis <mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au>
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> At 12:36 22/09/98 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >In a classic three phase full wave bridge, you only need 6 diodes
> >because the transformers would be connected in delta. I'd have to think
> >about the implications of the grounded secondary centertap on this,
> >since it sort of makes your system connected in Wye.
>
> No-one else commented on this & I lack the background theory (as you
> probably guessed !).  I assume I still connect all of the centre-taps to
> ground & this will not be a problem.

Remember, with center-tap grounded secondaries, the windings
cannot be connected directly together in either delta or wye,
since now you will have *six* phases to worry about (2 per
CT'ed secondary).
Each secondary HT terminal must go to its own full-wave
rectifier set (consisting of 2 stacks), and the DC outputs
of the rectifier sets can then be bussed together.

 ---------------------- +
             |_
             D^

(6 places)   |_
             D^

The resultant DC voltage will be symmetrical around ground.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org