[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3 Pahse Rotary Gap

> Original Poster: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>

> Greg,
>
> I considered this system and in fact had detailed discussions with
> Malcolm Watts about it (at the time being my idea I thought) about 2-1/2
> years ago.  The "big problem' is that you cannot capture the full power
> capability of your power source and place it in every single repeating
> 'Bang'.  At best you go to a lot more costruction trouble to make a
> 3-banger system that should perform no better than a much simpler system
> on single phase power at 1.732X the ampacity of this 3-banger.

But if the '3-banger' is designed such that each capacitor
has a forced charging curve covering most of a half-cycle
(say about 5mS), then the ampacity of the transformers is
utilized far more efficiently than in a single-phase setup,
which has to 'spike-charge' the cap in order to get more
than 120BPS. And, as we have seen, coils require BPS rates
in excess of 200 or so to be efficient spark producers.

> Do you know anyone with a large Tesla 'show only'
> (as opposed to reseach) coil that *ever* demonstrates it at 1/3rd or
> 2/3rd's power of what it can achieve at full horsepressure?

Yes!  I do all the time!  I will always start the coil at
the _lowest_ safe power setting, about 70BPS for my coil,
which is 1/5 full power.  Ramping the coil up to full power
from there thru the entire power range is far more dramatic
than just turning it on at a full, but monotonous, power level.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org